- 1 wedge of blue cheese: a stilton or shropshire works well here
- 4 oz pancetta, cubed
- 1 cup hazelnuts, roasted and coarsely chopped (see note)
- 8 Rancho Meladuco Medjool Dates, pitted and sliced into coins
- 2 tbsp Colavita Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 baguette, sliced into rounds and toasted
- Fresh sage, lightly fried, to garnish (optional)
Heat your oven to 425°F. Pour 1 tbsp Colavita olive oil into a cast iron skillet, and swirl to coat. Add the pancetta and place the skillet in the oven to cook and crisp the pancetta—about 10 minutes.
Remove the skillet from the oven using oven mitts. Place the wedge of blue cheese in the center of the skillet. Sprinkle in the hazelnuts and the dates.
Place the skillet back in the oven until the cheese is very soft and melted, but not bubbling… about 5-7 minutes.
Remove the skillet from the oven, and using a fork, mix the blue cheese in the skillet with the pancetta, dates and hazelnuts.
Garnish with optional fried sage. Serve with slices of toasted baguette.
NOTE: To roast hazelnuts, heat your oven to 425°F. Place the hazelnuts on a baking sheet. Place the baking sheet in the oven and roast for about 5 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool for 1-2 minutes. Then take a clean dish towel, and rub the hazelnuts with it to remove the skins. Discard the skins and chop the roasted hazelnuts, reserving any extras in a sealed container.
Recipe created and photographed by our friends at Colavita USA.