Recipe & Photo by Mindy Fox
Thinly sliced dates add a rich, complex sweetness to this salad, that complements juicy, crisp watermelon, and the savory notes of lime, onion, and smoky chile. This is a great recipe for BBQs, picnics, or any sort of summer meal, from brunch to lunch and dinner. It can easily be doubled or tripled to feed a larger crowd.
- 4 cups cubed watermelon (about 1-inch cubes)
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced pitted dates (3 to 4 large)
- 1/2 cup cubed or large crumbled feta cheese (about 2 ounces)
- 1/3 cup loosely packed mint leaves
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice, plus wedges for serving
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted pepitas (hulled pumpkin seeds)
- Kosher salt
- Regular or smoked chipotle chile powder
- Microgreens for garnish (optional)
Arrange watermelon on a large platter or in a shallow serving bowl. Sprinkle dates, feta, mint, and onion on top. Drizzle with lime juice and oil, then sprinkle with one to two generous pinches salt and chile powder. Top with microgreens, if using. Serve with lime wedges.
Recipe and photo credit: Mindy Fox