Recipe & Photo by Mindy Fox
This bright chicken salad includes all the crunchy, herby goodness you know you love, plus dates for a touch of delicate sweetness and a sunny California twist.
Serves 4 to 6
- 4 cups cubed cooked chicken*
- 1 sweet-tart or tart apple (such as Fuji or Granny Smith), cored, chopped
- 3 large celery stalks or one small fennel bulb, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup roasted almonds, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup coarsely chopped pitted Medjool dates
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise plus more if desired
- 2/3 cup thinly sliced scallions or finely chopped red onion
- Freshly grated zest of 1 lemon
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped tarragon or thinly sliced basil leaves
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 head Bibb or Boston lettuce for serving (optional)
- Croissants or your favorite bread or crackers for serving (optional)
In a large bowl, gently toss together all of the ingredients up to and including tarragon or basil, plus 3/4 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Adjust salt, pepper, and mayonnaise to taste. Serve with lettuce, croissants, bread, or crackers, as desired.
*If you’re poaching chicken from scratch for this recipe, purchase 1 3/4 pounds raw boneless chicken breast to yield about 4 cups cooked and cubed.
Recipe and photo by our friend and food editor/writer Mindy Fox